2011 was a pretty good year. In fact, looking back over it all, I kind of can’t believe how much I did:
- My first musical, IN THE PALE EARTHLIGHT (book and lyrics by Tim Bauer, music by Richard Koldewyn), had a book-in-hand-until-they-danced reading on the big stage of Berkeley Rep, part of Monday Night PlayGround.
- I got paid to do some ghostwritten punch-ups of someone else’s musical.
- I wrote 3 ten-minute plays, 1 instant play, 2 one-minute plays, 1 new full-length, and revised 2 other full-lengths.
- ZOMBIE TOWN: A DOCUMENTARY PLAY was part of PlayFest at Orlando Shakespeare Theater.
- SEPARATE VACATIONS, a full-length play improvised from an opening scene I wrote, was staged as part of ‘Act One: Scene Two’ by Un-Scripted Theater.
- SEEING MR. ALBERT, a short story, won the Live Writing Contest by the Portuguese Artists Colony at Fivepoints Arthouse.
- HOT SPOT was produced by the Bay One-Acts Festival.
- QUESTIONING and WHAT PARTICULAR SKILLS DO YOU BRING TO THE WORKPLACE were produced by the One Minute Play Festival.
- I hosted 11 Friday Night Footlights readings.
- I co-hosted 4 Playwrights Pub Nights.
- I attended the Dramatists Guild’s annual meeting in New York as the new San Francisco regional rep, and then went to the Dramatists Guild’s first-ever national conference, where I spoke on a panel about dramatists on the web.
- I read new work with the Portuguese Artists Colony at Fivepoints Arthouse, and was later asked to become a new colonist.
- I took two classes with Anthony Clarvoe through Playwrights Foundation – highly, highly recommended – where I started revisions on my latest full-length.
- I saw 35 plays, from Broadway and Off-Broadway and Off-Off-Broadway, to regional and local and indie.
- I saw 36 new play readings, from Dramatists Guild readings to Orlando PlayFest readings to local staged readings like Theater Pub and BAPF.
- I read a whole bunch more plays, both as a member of the Magic Theatre Literary Committee and as a dude with a whole lot of plays on his bookshelves.
Probably need to do some rebalancing for next year, but that’s for tomorrow, when I do my 2012 plan (inspired by Marisela’s work plan).