September’s here, and so are the various Fall Theater Previews:
- SF Weekly has Chris Jensen’s “Stage Events You Shouldn’t Miss,” featuring nine events, although one is the SF Fringe Festival, so you could technically say it features a whole ton of shows.
- In the SF Bay Guardian, Robert Avila’s “The Final Act” has 10 events highlighted, again including the Fringe Festival.
- Karen D’Souza’s preview in the San Jose Mercury News (with the SEO-optimized headline “Fall Arts 2010: Theater”) highlights seven events across the Bay.
- The East Bay Express has a huge listing of 24 shows happening all over the East Bay, but you have to scroll way down to the bottom of their “Guide to the 2010-2011 Cultural Calendar.”
- Most impressive of all, Robert Hurwitt of the San Francisco Chronicle breaks them out by month and features a stunning 39 shows in “Fall Arts Preview: Theater.”
The most mentioned, in my non-scientific, don’t-bug-me-if-something-else-is-actually-mentioned-more study of these listings: Tarell Alvin McCraney’s highly-anticipated The Brother/Sister Plays, which premiered at the Public Theater in New York.
It’s a trilogy being produced by three San Francisco theaters: In the Red and Brown Water at Marin Theatre Company (Sep 9-Oct 3); The Brothers Size at Magic Theatre (Sep 9-Oct 17); Marcus; Or the Secret of Sweet at A.C.T. (Oct 29-Nov 21). Learn more at www.brothersisterplays.org.